[SailfishDevel] Jolla release plan for high level features - update10
Soumya Bijjal
2014-11-06 08:38:41 UTC
Hi all,

Here is a quick summary of our plans for this month.

Our current focus is towards enabling update10 to be a stable OS update,
therefore ironing out issues related to memory handling is the utmost
priority right now.

In addition to that, we expect to release the following improvements:
* Alphanumeric support in device lock
https://together.jolla.com/question/19890/alphabetic-device-lock/

* Option to keep display on while charging
https://together.jolla.com/question/37616/keep-display-on-while-charging/
* Silence an incoming call by flipping the phone or by pressing the
power key
https://together.jolla.com/question/371/silence-incoming-calls-by-turning-the-phone-face-down/

* Snooze alarm by flipping the phone or by pressing power key
https://together.jolla.com/question/8559/alarm-clock-alarm-unintuitive/
https://together.jolla.com/question/35555/bug-power-button-not-active-during-clock-alarm/

* Enable zram in kernel
https://together.jolla.com/question/45055/suggestion-zram-swappiness-tweaks-more-performance/

* Edit a single occurence of a recurring event
https://together.jolla.com/question/27716/enable-edit-of-single-occurrence-event-for-repeating-calendar-event/

* A way to set default reminder
https://together.jolla.com/question/10327/feature-request-calendar-reminder-turned-on-by-default/

Our implementation: on creating a new calendar event with reminder, the
reminder time set is saved and used as default for the subsequent new
calendar event entries.

* As protection against pocket calls, block touch input until proximity
sensor is uncovered
https://together.jolla.com/question/11374/bug-accidental-unlocks-and-pocket-dialing-feature-req-disable-touch-screen-and-pwrbtn-when-proximity-is-detected/
https://together.jolla.com/question/9615/preventing-pocket-dialing-to-emergency-service-112/
Since this also means any proximity sensor faults will render the device
practically unusable, it will be possible to temporarily disable
proximity sensor by triple power key press.

* Device lock can be activated manually by double power key press
https://together.jolla.com/question/4339/locking-the-device-right-away-without-waiting-for-the-lock-time/

Apart from finalizing update10, we will start the following activities:
- start the work to update to GStreamer 1.x (latest upstream version
1.4.3)
- start the work on platform UI scalability, beginning with making
icons resolution independent and improving layout scaling

Regards,
Soumya
Luciano Montanaro
2014-11-06 09:59:54 UTC
The current batch of improvements will be welcome for sure, as well as the
gstreamer upgrade.

The platform UI scalability, while welcome, will probably affect us as
developers the most.
Can you be a bit more specific about it? Are you planning to use svg icons,
for example? What should we be aware of, when designing our apps?

Thank you,

Luciano

On Thu, Nov 6, 2014 at 9:38 AM, Soumya Bijjal <***@jollamobile.com

--
Luciano Montanaro

Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no
account be allowed to do the job. -- Douglas Adams
Joona Petrell
2014-11-06 13:17:16 UTC
Hi Luciano,

3rd party apps will use similar tooling for deploying scalable icons as the platform apps. We will provide instructions how to make you icons scalable as part of future Silica UI toolkit documentation. The source icon format will be a variant of SVG. The current plan is to render the icons to the physical dimensions and resolution of the target display as a post-installation step to avoid costly runtime scaling.

Cheers,

Joona

________________________________

Luciano Montanaro
2014-11-06 14:16:31 UTC
On Thu, Nov 6, 2014 at 2:17 PM, Joona Petrell <***@jolla.com> wrote:

> 3rd party apps will use similar tooling for deploying scalable icons as the
> platform apps. We will provide instructions how to make you icons scalable
> as part of future Silica UI toolkit documentation. The source icon format
> will be a variant of SVG.

Perfect, that was just what I wanted to hear, I am already using SVG
to design the icon, and have it rendered by Inkscape. I think I will
need few changes then.

> The current plan is to render the icons to the
> physical dimensions and resolution of the target display as a
> post-installation step to avoid costly runtime scaling.

That is good. Will it be possible to use the same mechanism to scale
also application artwork, in addition to "desktop" icons? In KDEGames,
artwork is provided as an svg file, which is rendered to a cache at
runtime, for every size that is required. But for SailfishOS, the size
would not need to change, since windows cannot change size.

Also, I suppose that using the SailfisOS theme object will be even
more important to get the right sizes for each element, as they will
be no longer guaranteed to be the same across the board.

I look forward to test this out on my Nexus 7.... :)

Best regards,
Luciano

Joona Petrell
2014-11-06 14:29:11 UTC
> Will it be possible to use the same mechanism to scale also application artwork, in addition to "desktop" icons?

Yes. Talking about icons is a bit misleading, sorry. :) The scaling is not limited to icon-style graphics but can also be used with any scalable graphical assets, like billboard-style artworks, backgrounds, and so on.

Br,

Joona

Kaj-Michael Lang
2014-11-06 10:04:33 UTC
On Thu, 2014-11-06 at 10:38 +0200, Soumya Bijjal wrote:
> start the work to update to GStreamer 1.x (latest upstream version
> 1.4.3)

Great! :) Does that mean gstreamer usage will be allowed in harbour apps
when 1.x is used ? What about plugin(s) only packages, will harbour
allow those ?

Kaj-Michael Lang <***@tal.org>
Mohammed Hassan
2014-11-06 11:31:23 UTC
On Thu, Nov 06, 2014 at 12:04:33PM +0200, Kaj-Michael Lang wrote:
> On Thu, 2014-11-06 at 10:38 +0200, Soumya Bijjal wrote:
> > start the work to update to GStreamer 1.x (latest upstream version
> > 1.4.3)
>
> Great! :) Does that mean gstreamer usage will be allowed in harbour apps
> when 1.x is used ? What about plugin(s) only packages, will harbour
> allow those ?

GStreamer is not yet being used by Sailfish OS.

It's been added to the repository and you can hopefully install it on the phone
but QtMultimedia has not been switched yet.

In fact, it doesn't yet have all the capabilities needed (Only playback of ogg works).

We have already all we need to enable HW accelerated encoding and playback as well as the
various audio encoders and decoders needed but we decided to take a step back and research
a better alternative in order to make the life of the various community ports for SailfishOS
easier. This is the main reason why we -at Jolla- did not enable video codecs yet.

However now you can watch the progress and I hope each update will have something new.

I cannot yet comment on allowing it in harbour -even though it's something I personally
would like to see-.

I know it sounds frustrating a bit but at least the work is progressing and you can
watch the progress. You can even contribute to it if you are interested as it's all
in github repositories.

Cheers,
Tone Kastlunger
2014-11-06 11:50:13 UTC
Hassan,
is there more details available about the plans to make this feature more
accessible to devvers?

Best,
tortoisedoc

Mohammed Hassan